Learn all about the events happening in the ByWard Market!
Ring the Bell!
The historic bell at ByWard Market
Located on the second floor of the original ByWard Market building, the bell was installed in 1877 and rang daily to signal the opening and closing of the market.
A fire destroyed the buildings in 1926, but the bell was salvaged and housed for many years in St. David’s R.E. Church, at the corner of Crichton and Charles streets in New Edinburgh. In 1976, the bell was donated back to the City of Ottawa.
The 400-pound bell fell silent in the 1990s for unclear reasons. Since 2018 it now rings every day at 10 a.m. to announce to the neighbourhood that the market is open for business.