LEARN MORE ABOUT COVID-19
COVID-19 is an illness caused by a coronavirus. Human coronaviruses are common and are typically associated with mild illnesses, similar to the common cold.
Symptoms of human coronaviruses may be very mild or more serious, such as:
Symptoms may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to the virus.
Coronaviruses are most commonly spread from an infected person through:
respiratory droplets when you cough or sneeze
close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
touching something with the virus on it, then touching your eyes, nose or mouth before washing your hands
These viruses are not known to spread through ventilation systems or through water.
The best way to prevent the spread of infections is to:
wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds;
avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, especially with unwashed hands;
avoid close contact with people who are sick;
cough and sneeze into your sleeve and not your hands; and
stay home if you are sick to avoid spreading illness to others.
In this extraordinary and challenging time, it is important to find positive ways to support our community and our neighborhoods. The ByWard Market is full of amazing local shops that will need our support. Below are some unique ways you can support your local businesses.
Here are some ways to support small businesses, courtesy of our friends at the ByWard Market BIA:
• Buy meals from local restaurants for delivery or takeout
• Shop small businesses online
• Use shipping, door-to-door and delivery services where available
• Purchase coffee grounds from your local coffee shop
• Pick up bread or baked goods from your local bakery
• Consider purchasing gift cards for future use – they’ll receive the revenue now while foot traffic is down and you’ll have something to look forward to!
• Share, tweet, post about your favourite small business – ❤️ let’s spread some positivity!
• Purchase your personal items, shampoo, soaps, face wash, creams etc. from local businesses instead of busy box stores
• Don’t cancel appointments, reschedule if possible